Friday we woke up super early and headed to school for orientation. Turns out orientation was actually at a church like one street from where we live. So we were basically walked back home once we arrived. We were told lots of horror stories about being drunk in Rome, mostly about really really stupid people who obviously have no common sense... like the guy who thought it would be a good idea to climb up to his 5th floor balcony once he realized he was locked out. He fell, was impaled on a spike or something, almost died, and it turns out his keys were in his bag the whole time. I mean, come onnnnnnnnn.
I can't really remember what we did for the rest of the day... I think I just took a long nap? At night we went on a pub crawl, which was okay. Some parts were fun, but they took us to Campo d'Fiori which is basically just like America in Rome. I'm not really looking for the touristy-closed-minded-american-abroad experience. The boys met up with us halfway through, which was good. It's always nice to have them around not only because they're fun, but also for protection.
The pub crawl actually got really fun towards the end when we started going to more fun bars. We went to a Scottish bar and it was sooooooooo funny. European MTV was on the TV, which is like all music from the 90s. We couldn't hear it, but it was funny to watch. They had a DJ and everyone was dancing. Except everyone dances like 80s aerobics instructors... or they Salsa? It's just really funny to watch and super fun to participate in, ahahaha. After that, we went to an Irish bar. Walked in and the Pistons were on TV, niceeeee. It was so crowded, you could barely move. Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Ace of Base, Neil Diamond... all blaring from the speakers. The entire bar was singing along, it was just crazy fun. However, it was still that American feel. I also discovered Italians don't like blondes... I guess we don't have more fun? Lame.
We had a crazy ride home, where I driver just kept yelling at not watching the road and it was insane. How I still haven't seen a car accident since being here is a giant mystery. Everyone is crazy.
Saturday I woke up early and waited for the rest of my roommates to wake up so we could head over to our school BBQ type thing. However, everyone woke up late and then it was pouring rain. So we didn't go. After the rain slowed, I went grocery shopping with one of my roommates. It's so hard. I'm used to buying like $80 worth of groceries and I need to get used to just planning what I want to eat for a few days. I basically failed... just bought some apples, Brie, bread, noodles, spaghetti sauce, and a bottle of wine? I need to go again tomorrow and I'm still at a loss for what I should buy. I really need to buy things for sandwiches and snacks and things.
After I got back, I skyped with my parents for an hour, talked a few times with Savannah about visiting each other, then skyped with my roommates for about an hour. Skype is pretty much one of the best inventions ever.
The boys came over and we caught a cab to a bar they went to a couple days before. It was fun, nothing too exciting. We all just got to hang out more, which was good. Came home at 5am. I used to think it was annoying that bars in the U.S. closed at 2am, but now I think it's a really good idea, haha. I never check the time when I'm out, I just stay until the bars close and 5am is just toooo late... which I never realize until I wake up at 3pm the next day thinking it's 10am.
Yesterday was Sunday and everything's closed. This seemed to annoy my roommates a bit, but I didn't mind. We found an open bar and got some sandwiches for lunch. We talked for a while, but I ended up leaving around 4pm. They stayed until 8pm. I did some exploring on my way home and found the church I've been hearing all week.
It was reallllllly pretty and big! I stayed for a while, then saw a sign that said there was another mass later at 5:30pm. I rushed home to get changed out of my jeans (I wasn't sure about the dress code) and came back for mass. I planned to arrive early so I could blend in a little. When I got there, there were only about 7 people and they were all in the last rows of this gianttttt church. So I went and sat in the middle section. Said a rosary while I waited. 5:30 comes and goes and nothing's happening except the lights keep changing and they've brought out the communion stuff. So I wait patiently.
Two priests come out, sit on the alter. Half the people stand, half the people sit, I have no idea what's going on. Everyone starts chanting really fast. Which was really creepy in the big church where everything echos. People are coming in, leaving, walking around changing seats six times. I am soooooooooo confused. FINALLY I realize they must be saying a rosary. I start following along on mine every time I hear "Ave Maria" and I was right, they're saying the rosary. Personally, I am not a fan of this and want to leave, but I don't want to look rude or like the idiot American. Even though, like I said, half the people are walking around changing their seats every five minutes.
After it ends, a bunch of people come in and I realize I'm an idiot and 18:30 is SIX-thirty, not five. Highfive on that one. So now mass is starting, I've been there for an hour and a half, I might as well stay. I realize I shouldn't go to mass in Italian. I have no idea what the readings are, the homily, etc. I don't know any of the responses. I don't even know how to say peace! I follow along, but really I'm just bored and thinking I should have waited and found an english speaking church. All the while, I'm trying realllllllly hard not to laugh at the cantor... and then I was thinking about how my dad would probably be laughing, which made it even harder to not laugh.
The cantor was a super old nun. She has a terrible voice to begin with and plunges into a coughing fit about every 30seconds while she sings. Everyone stops and waits for her to cough (into the microphone) for a few seconds, then continues the song. It takes a reallllly long time to get through the songs. It's just ridiculous.
ALSO. Communion. Only half the people go and there is no order. If you want communion, you basically get in the aisle and make a mad rush for the alter. It's out of control. Other difference, there are five priests. I have no idea why that's necessary. Basically, it's really an experience... and super confusing.
On my way home, I was walking past the local video store and noticed the MSU boys inside. So I stopped to see what they were up to and they told me they were catching a train in 5mins to the Spanish Steps and asked if I wanted to come along. I was freeeeeeeezing in my dress, because I'm an idiot and wore one that was only knee-length, but I said yes anyway. Hello, when in Rome!
We walked across to the train station and got there just as the train was arriving. We took that for a few minutes, then had to switch to a metro. We came out by a giant square and I realized these boys travel much more in my style than my roommates. We hung out in the square for a while, just kind of in awe. Then we grabbed some dinner at a small restaurant... a pizza for each of us and a bottle of wine and a bottle of water to split. After dinner, we set out for the Spanish steps. They were much smaller than I thought they were, but still amazing nonetheless. Standing at the top was really amazing though. Just looking out over Rome at night, it's just amazing. You can't even explain how cool it is. I feel like such a broken record because all I say is, "This is NOT real. I can't believe I'm here!"
We left the Spanish steps and headed for the Trevi Fountain. Which was just... wow. It was so pretty at night and there were a bunch of people there and just crazy. We took some pictures and then just sat on the steps staring at it for a while. We went across the street to get some gelatto, then brought it back to sit by the fountain again. It was just amazing.
After that the boys took me to the Pantheon because I hadn't seen it yet and they loved it. I was just walking along, turned a corner, and again... WOW. It's so big and just... wow. Haha. There's no other way to describe everything. It's just crazy how amazing everything is. I swear I'll post pictures soon, but all my roommates are online right now so our internet is being really inconsistent. We stood there for a while and everything was just perfect. It was night in Rome, the Pantheon was all lit up, the square was surrounded by restaurants, and there was a saxophonist playing.
Our ride home was fine, until we got to the train station... which was closed. We kind of stood in the middle of the road trying to figure out what to do, when luckily a taxi came along. Piled in and went home. It was a great night.
This morning, I woke up really early to go to school. We had to register for school field trips today and I signed up for day trips to Tuscany, Assisi, and Pompeii. Sooooo I'm excited for that! I rushed to class, only to find it was canceled. Grrrrreat, not. It was my Italian class! I was super excited! Plus, I'm just a giant nerd and love school anyway. I came home and have been doing nothing on the computer, except for a quick break to walk with Danielle while she went to get breakfast. I made pasta with the worst sauce I've ever had. I guess it serves me right for buying it in a jar instead of concocting something myself. It's thunderstorming so hard that the doors are shaking and I have to leave for class in 10mins. So that sucks, but oh well. It's basically been raining non-stop since I got here and freeeeezing. I def should have brought a peacoat with me... along with a million other things.
Anyway, I should go get ready for class!!!
P.S. Apparently I only know about three adjective for "good". Sorrrry, it's really redundant.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment